December 7, 2011

Some recipes worth trying.

I feel like I went through a spell for a while where all the recipes I tried were a bust... I would have to buy at least one ingredient I didn't already have, take the extra time to make it that always comes when you're making something new, dirty a million utensils and bowls... only for it to come out and Kanyon say as nice as he could that it wasn't very good. While I am in denial and trying to tell myself that he's wrong and it really is good.

BUT I've had a respite from that season, it seems, and I wanted to share a couple of new favorites of our's as well as a snack I made for Kasha's baby shower (which I never blogged about.. I'll put that on my list...).


Bistro Chicken Pasta

This sounded weird to me at first, since Caesar dressing doesn't sound that great on pasta. But this specific dressing brand is the key because it is not really tangy like some Caesar dressing and after baking, it has a really great flavor. Kanyon doesn't love pasta like I do, but he said he really liked this, especially with crushed red pepper on top.

Ingredients:
4-5 chicken breasts (cooked and shredded or cubed), season with Seasoned Salt or desired seasoning while cooking.
1 pound bow tie pasta (cooked according to package directions)
2/3 cup chopped onion (I cooked them before assembling and putting in the oven)
2/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
8 oz. feta cheese
1 bottle Newman's Own Caesar dressing (16 oz)
Italian seasoning to taste
Garlic salt to taste

Preparation: Mix all ingredients well and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees (uncovered) in 9x13 pan.


Easy Barbecued Ribs

This was a great find. I like grilled ribs fine but putting them in the slow cooker for this recipes makes them fall off the bone and so tender. And the taste was really yummy. Its so easy. I threw together the seasonings in a bowl before going to bed, so I just rolled the ribs in the seasoning the next morning and stuck it in the Crock Pot. You really have to try this!

Ingredients:
1.5 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp light brown sugar, lightly packed
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
S&P to taste
2 lbs pork (baby) back ribs
1.5 cup barbecue sauce

Preparation: 
In a small bowl, mix together paprika, brown sugar, cayenne, and S&P. Rub this mixture over all sides of ribs. Arrange ribs in the slow cooker by standing them up against the wall of the pot. Pour bbq sauce over the ribs, cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low. (I did 6.5 hours and they were great.)

Next (don't skip this even though the ribs look great already), remove the ribs to a baking pan lined with foil and a baking rack, bone side up. Set aside.

Skim any fat that has risen to the top and strain remaining juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer and allow to reduce by a third, approximately 15 minutes.

Turn oven's broiler on and set top rack about 10 inches below it. Brush the ribs with the sauce and broil for about 3 minutes. Brush with sauce again, turn them over, and broil for another 5 minutes. Brush with any remaining sauce.


Cookies and Cream Popcorn

This was a really easy throw-together sweet snack for Kasha's shower and everyone really loved it.

Ingredients:
1 bag popcorn, popped
6 ounces white chocolate candy coating
10-15 oreos, crushed or roughly chopped

Preparation: Place popped popcorn into bowl with oreos. Melt chocolate in microwave and pour over. Stir to coat. Dump on wax paper and spread into single layer to cool and harden. Serve!



I hope you get a chance to try these recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment