February 25, 2011

Where We're At

So this week has been a little crazy.

Monday, bible study (lovin this new study!). 
Tuesday, cotton seed meeting with Kanyon and Uncle Dan and Aunt Rhnea. Read a book during it. Got free dinner.
Wednesday, stayed up at work to help lead a discussion with the girls in youth group about sex. It was awkward. Not because it was about sex. But because I didn't know any of the girls and then expected them to share their questions about it. Silence.... 
Thursday, catching up with cooking and working out for the first time this week. Tried a new recipe and botched it. But Kanyon said he still liked it... mm hmm. It took me an hour and a half instead of the 20 minutes I allotted it so I got to work out for only 15 min. But I still patted myself on the back for the effort.

This morning, worked out with some ladies here in Lamesa like I usually do on Fridays and it k-i-l-l-e-d me. We did a 20-minute Jillian Michaels video. It only took me the first ten to hate Jillian. I am consoling my aching body with Thin Mints. (Dang those girl scout cookies.)

One thing that I meant to do on this blog but have been doing a sorry job lately is keep my city (and Scottish.. Ali) friends up to date with where we are in farming. Its been slower lately because January and February are a re-grouping, if you will, time for farmers. But its been picking up again.

Right now, the farmers I know (can't speak for all of them) have sewn wheat into their fields. Honestly, I can't remember all the benefits of it and why they do it but I do remember that it helps with the sand blowing. The only benefit for me is that its beautiful! (Well actually less sand blowing is nice, too.) If it turns out well by May, they will harvest and sell it right before planting their cotton.

I looove this time of year. Most of the feilds are green with beautiful wheat and the others have freshly turned soil and are being irrigated to soak up the moisture.
(Yes, mom, I used that word I hate.)


In a few weeks, the wheat will be much taller and I'll make myself believe I'm back in Scotland for a moment.


Kanyon got his sewing machine in last week. And I just realized - I haven't even been back to his shop to see it. (See above for what I've been doing this week.) What kind of wife am I? Priority number 1 tonight. Pictures to come of the work he's been doing on the place.

Speaking of working on the place, we have some exciting renovations coming up to our house!

This is not the current state of our lawn or our flower bushes but its not far off since they just went through a harsh winter..




For sure, we will be painting the trim of the house (currently a disgusting mauve/brick red color) a creamy white for a more crisp finish. So imagine white around the windows, on the soffet, on the carport, etc.

Next, Kanyon wants to redo the porches on both the back and the front of the house. We both hate them now. They are sagging and ugly. So for the front, we have in mind to change the direction its facing altogether so its angled more towards the street. You can't see the iron pillars that well in this picture but they are painted black and peeling. Gotta go. We're not sure how the final product will look but we're pretty excited!

The back porch needs an update as well. Well actually the whole backyard for that matter.


We want a large back porch that we can actually sit on. This one is chipping badly. Notice the trim on the door? That will be painted too!


That green rug was long ago chewed up by Zeb on a day he didn't get to go out with Kanyon, don't worry.

We'd love to have enough room on the porch for some chairs, our beautiful grill that is in the storage shed for protection (we still use it, dad, don't worry), and maybe somewhere to put Zeb's food so its not the only thing you see. He hasn't stepped inside his dog house more than 5 times so maybe his bed will have to be up there, too. (I envisioned a cute dog house in the back corner of the yard.. bummer).


The rest of the yard just needs work. I'd like to add some more plants, some flowers and color, and I think I'm going to try my hand at planting a vegetable garden? I have no idea what to expect. I really need to add a bird feeder somewhere.. they keep eating Zeb's food and bathing in his bowl. Sick.

Notice the shop in the back? That will look different as well as Kanyon adds some sort of door to the opening on the left. He'll also replaces the door and the roof. And I think it needs a good Texas star or something to fill in that blank wall on the right.

So there you have our hopes and dreams. We'll see if we get it all accomplished this year!

1 comment:

  1. It was really nice getting to know you a little through your blog, Erika!! It must be such an adventure living out in the country and experience a farming lifestyle, etc. I think there is so much beauty to be found farther out from big cities! Matthew and I enjoy going to our in-laws ranch near Sabinal. I see you live in Lamesa? I've seen signs for that, but never been there.

    Best of luck with your home renovations girl!! You and your hubby are so cute. And by the way, a blog can be for so much more than just your mom, like you mentioned. ;) For a few years, I kept a blog just for close family members and friends, and never realized that you can reach out and be member of this incredibly blogging community... I have made so many wonderful friends along the way!!

    Again, thanks for your email, and I'm sorry for my slow response!! Stupid Gmail!! ;P

    ReplyDelete