October 14, 2010

Thank you for all the plants and animals.


Lately, I have been getting back in the swing of finishing decorating the house. This has led to me shopping, buying, etc different things. Which in my case, usually trickles over into other categories like clothes and stuff. And the other day, I noticed myself thinking something that inevitably every girl thinks. "There is nothing in my closet that I like." I went about brooding about this for a couple days before God smacked me in the head and said.. really?... God has blessed us RIDICULOUSLY with an awesome house, great jobs, great families.. there's really no end to the list. And I'm moping around about my closet. Sheesh.

So I cleaned it out. I took out anything that I have not worn in a long while and anything that doesn't fit me well or whatever and packed it up and let my mom and my sister in laws go through them. There were several that hurt me to give away BUT I didn't wear them anymore and they looked better on them. I clean out my closet often but this was different. It felt like I was "cleansing" myself from some of my ridiculous attachments to material things. I am resigning myself to love what is in my closet right now. I'm nowhere near where I could be but my new prayer right now is that I would stop allowing Satan a foothold there and I would only see the incredible blessings and be content with everything we have been given. Because there is absolutely no reason for my whining. Why does He put up with us?..

Chris, the pastor at the church I work at, said something very interesting. He said God pointed something out to him the other night as his family was sitting down for dinner. His kids said the blessing for the meal. You know how it goes.. "Thank you for the kitty, thank you for the flowers, thank you for mommy and daddy.." Chris said it hit him then the difference between his kid's prayers and his. When is it that we switch from prayers full of gratitude to prayers of only requests? Of course, God wants us to present our requests to him. He wants to hear our hearts and our worries. But Jesus' prayer that we all know begins with praise. "Hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven." Not just gratitude for what He had given Jesus, but praise for the God and the Father that he is.

Thanks for listening (reading) to my working that all out in my head.

Thank you, God, for this face:



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for your heart of gratitude. That will make you happier than any material possession you will ever get. Love you! and of course the face above is too cute:)

    ReplyDelete